Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Notecard for Swapping

This is my contribution to Regina's Notecard Swap. I was inspired by photos taken by our neighbor of his plum tree blossoms with bees. I first did a quick sketch by hand and then refined it to a simple line drawing. Next I scanned it in to Illustrator and separated it into color layers. Each color layer was then printed in black. I used these to make print gocco screens and then did the printing with the gocco. I was disappointed with the white ink coverage. It didn't show at all on the lighter colored paper. So, after experimenting a little, I found that hand painting with a white Caran D'Ache crayon worked. The cards are printed on DCWV acid-free and lignin-free paper. Other contributions to the swap will be posted here.

3 comments:

Regina said...

Lexi, I love your cards! They are really beautiful! I am in total awe of all the layers of color.

Thanks so much for sending one extra for me:) I am having a hard time deciding which one I like best. They are all so pretty.

Jodi Renshaw said...

Absolutely amazing! After the move I am investing in a gocco. I hope my work is half as wonderful as yours :)

~ Jodi

Anonymous said...

so so pretty - i just got a gocco and it's been so fun!