Monday, April 14, 2008

Just another trip to the mailbox

Maia and I went out to get the mail today and noticed some pretty flowers that had bloomed. Then we saw the lizard by the door. It was a much larger variety than the blue-bellies we normally see in the back yard. This one was about 9 inches long! Then we saw the grasshopper jumping around, on the grass. So I ran and got the camera. I couldn't let all this nature go without some documentation.

All this after our adventure collecting a caterpillar this morning. I had seen a bunch of these caterpillars on my walk yesterday, so I took Maia back there this morning to see them. I brought one home, along with the stem/leaves it was sitting on. This is the one we brought home.Here is his current home - I'm still reading up a little about what it will need. Mainly, plenty of ventilation, plenty of the fresh leaves it was eating, and some moisture. If all goes well it will metamorphose into a beautiful orange butterfly. Then I will be sure to release it in the same place I got it.

1 comment:

Jodi Renshaw said...

Oohhh.... life all around you on your way to the mailbox. Very sweet. I am jealous ... as spring has only just begun here. Anyway, enjoy the beauty and wonder around you :)

Love,
Jodi