Friday, January 16, 2009

Mama Bear, Birds, Bathrooms and Books

Over a year ago, we noticed some red splotchy marks on Maia's left leg. And if I had several hours, I'd explain all the stuff we've been doing to figure this problem out... but suffice it to say that I have at least four doctors on my $#!*list of people to send a thanks-for-nothing letter (which I'm pretty sure will never actually happen but anyway...) On Wednesday, after taking her to a new set of doctors, we got confirmation that she has scleroderma, an autoimmune disease that causes excess collagen production in the affected tissues. For Maia, the affected area is her entire leg, and she is experiencing loss of range of motion in her knee, ankle, and foot, skin tightening and discoloration. The treatment involves a couple drugs and physical therapy, and I guess this could go on for a few years. This terrifies me, but at this point I feel like any moment not treating it, is potentially more permanent damage to her leg.

So, I've had my crying day, my angry day, my fearful day. Eventually, I'll settle into focusing all that Mama Bear energy into helping Maia get better. She's such a sweet little trooper and I love her to pieces.

...

Birds, birds, birds... After several test birds, I think I finally have my pattern for Regina's swap. Pictures and progress coming soon.

...


Um, the bathroom got torn up - I don't know how this happened, but here we are with a stripped down 5 x 8 room with a tub and a couple holes in the floor. We've got some new tile coming and Chris is planning a new cabinet with a sink and some wall units we already bought at Ikea. It'll be nice but like I said, it wasn't exactly on our list of priorities, so I'm not really sure why we're doing it now, but it was possibly the ugliest bathroom on the planet, so I am not complaining.

...

Look at this cute book Sofia wrote for us. She's pretty neat.





1 comment:

Regina said...

Doctors can be so frustrating. I should know, I have to work with them! Urgh!!

I really hope that Maia's leg gets treated and that she get better soon. Hang in there mama bear. You are all she needs right now.

And, I have to say that I think my main bathroom looks a little worse. It looks just like yours, but has a toilet, free standing sink and a dirty PINK tub! We finally painted the walls, which were part pink and part purple! We ripped it all out a year ago and it looks basically the same now. Functional, but horrible. I hope you have a lot better luck than we've had :)

Let me know if you are having a hard time with the birds. You are going through a lot right now.

Big hugs!