Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Quail Family

Look at these lovelies!! I noticed a quail out the window this afternoon and then one baby, then two, then four, then eight, oh my, I couldn't count them all. They were parading around the yard, pecking around for food. So cute and so tiny. The babies mostly stayed under bushes and they spent quite a bit of time under the sage and lavender bushes by the bird feeder. Papa Quail always trailing and standing watch, Mama Quail in the lead. I have to admit I was so giddy I could barely contain myself and even though my girls were excited too, they kept looking at me like I was crazy. There were more than ten babies but I never did get a good count. They sure do move fast. I hope they keep visiting our yard. More pictures here.

2 comments:

Regina said...

Oh, I love little baby quail. The adult birds remind me of little round women with funny hats.

Anonymous said...

I love sweet, devoted birdy couples. We have lots of cardinals in our neighborhood and they couple up. I recently watched a female "stand guard" while her man searched the grass for nibbles. When he was done her came right over and shared his last bite with her. Made me want to cry!