Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Name This Bird

A new bird came flitting through the back yard and was in and out in 30 seconds. So, as usual my pictures are poor, through the window, fully zoomed and cropped. But this is definitely a bird I haven't seen before. I have a general idea, but I haven't pinpointed it. Any guesses?

It has a slight crest that's hard to see in the photo and there is a small branch crossing its face in the photo (not a white streak). Tail feathers spread and showed more rust when he flew off.

4 comments:

Mama Llama said...

Is it a Flycatcher? That is my guess, because of the wing bands, but I can't tell if it's belly is yellow.

Alexis said...

Yes! It's an Ash-Throated Flycatcher, which you don't have in your neck of the woods, but you must know your birds to have picked out flycatcher. This particular flycatcher has a subtle yellow belly, but my pictures didn't show it well.

Mama Llama said...

Do I win the bird? Do you need my address so you can send it to me?

My postman will be so excited.

lettuce said...

what a pretty bird

my garden is full of sparrows and goldfinches

I found you via Creative Kismet
I hope you don't mind if I shamelessly promote my latest blog post which is shamelessly promoting a new crafty charity project - please read it and if you feel able help advertise (or contribute in any other way) that would be FAB