Friday, May 01, 2009

Gardening

I spent quite a bit of time in the yard this week. Seems like an endless amount of work this time of year. But hopefully it will pay off with some edibles. I planted a couple avocado trees down on our back slope. It was slightly treacherous but should be a good place for them, and once they grow they should keep some weeds down with the leaf fall. One tree (seen below) was started from seed last year and one was store bought. I've read mixed reviews on starting avocados from seed - everything from they won't fruit, the fruit tastes bad, and they take longer to fruit (like 8-20 years). Since I can't wait that long, I bought another tree and I'm hoping if anything they'll help each other with pollination.
Then we've got some strawberries going, a couple tomatoes, and some cucumbers. The cucumbers are starting to sprout. I wasn't sure they were going to make it due to that super hot weekend where I was gone and someone forgot to water... but anyway, at least three have sprouted so there may be some homegrown cucumbers in our future after all. I also planted a lemon verbena - mmmm, such a sweet smell, and basil. I still need to decide on a place for a wild California rose, and have quite a bit of repotting and moving succulents around to clean them up and make space. So I'll be busy again this weekend. Happy gardening!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the smell of lemon Verbena. I've been gardening like crazy too. Yay for Spring!!
:)
xxoo,
a.

Nancye said...

Alexis, I found my first Wendy Brokaw figure at a store in Girhidelli (s?) Square, but do not remember the name of the store. It was one that catered to art from area people. Does that ring a bell? I later corresponded with Wendy; had her address and actuslly talked to her by phone a few times. Let me know if you have trouble getting in contact with her. My email is nfisher1219@bellsouth.net Nancye