Thursday, April 02, 2009

Spring Project


What started out as a "free" project has blossomed into a little more than free. I was just going to use up some cotton yarn that I had in my stash and make a cute little shirt for Maia (pattern at Soulful Hues Hobbies & Random Thoughts). And if it worked out, tweak the pattern to make a bigger one for Sofia. My mistake was asking the opinion of the intended recipient of the project... which led to a new yarn purchase. Oh and then I decided to make skirts to go with the knit tops... I went to the local big box fabric store with 40% coupon in hand and left thoroughly disgusted with their selection. I ended up at the local quilting shop, which has oh so much more to offer in the way of pretty fabric. So much for free.
Don't laugh, but I had to tack on the green because I had miscalculated how much of the blue yarn I had. It looks a bit like green grass under a blue sky, so I added the flower to increase the chance that Maia might actually choose to wear it without some sort of bribery involved. She is quite selective these days about her clothing. If it's not a pink dress, it's got a snowball's chance in, well, you know.Hopefully my pattern adjustments will work out for Sofia's version. She may need a camisole underneath if the arm holes ended up too big. I'm thinking about a simple wrap around pattern for the skirt found here. Or a may do an even simpler 3-tier peasant skirt.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

that is just beautiful. I love how the green turned into a happy accident, I love it when that happens :)

Jodi Renshaw said...

So beautiful. Gosh you have wonderful talent. Thank you for your kind words on my blog. You are great. I look forward to giving your blog more of my attention because you share such yummy stuff :)

Love,
Jodi

Fiona said...

Hiya! I have this knit pattern in my Ravelry queue. I'd love to know how you adjusted it to fit an older child as I'd like to make it for my 6YO :)