Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Birthday Party

Sofia mentioned that she wanted to have a dinner party for her birthday this year. I latched onto the idea, hoping to save a little money by keeping it small. There was a total of 8 kids plus the parents, but the kids got to sit at the birthday table. I wanted to create a magical birthday atmosphere, not in a Disney princess way, but with some nice homemade decorations.Each guest got a favor box with chocolates inside. They were a little young to expect them not to eat their chocolate before dinner was served. I used some mismatch silverware I got from my grandmother, and Sofia chose her favorite colors of our cloth napkins to use.
The centerpiece was made of tissue flower arrangements and the birthday ring. Sofia helped make streamers, paper lanterns, and tissue paper cutouts to decorate the walls. It was a lot of fun for her to help. The tissue flower arrangements were an idea from here, one of my favorite crafty bloggers.
I had to recreate this after the party, since in all the excitement of the day, I forgot to take nice pictures of the table before the kids came. Sofia chose a roasted rosemary chicken, broccoli, fruit salad, and bread with butter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look GREAT!! And your birthday ring is fabulous too. I bought those pegs to make one too. Did you make the ring? I haven't found one ready-made. Maybe I should have my FIL cut one for me. hmmm...thinking...

Anonymous said...

oops- that was me- Courtney!

Regina said...

It all looks so magical, dreamy and sophisticated. Oh how I dreamed of a pretty, flowery birthday like that when I was little. You did a beautiful job. I totally love the tissue flower center-pieces and birthday ring!

Grace said...

I ADORE your birthday ring! Your peg people are SO much nicer than the ones we have from Magic Cabin. I will console myself with the fact that I bought them 5 years ago before I re-entered craftiness.

Although, I feel like that's a slightly poor consolation when I see yours!